Do you find it hard to water the narrow strip of lawn that runs along the side of your house or between your driveways? And find it challenging to irrigate the plants in such small spaces? If so, I have covered a complete step-by-step guide to water the narrow strips of lawn.
In this guide, you will learn how to use old plastic bottles to irrigate small spaces, and guess what? I will also tell you how to prepare your DIY micro-irrigation system. While reading this blog, be sure that whatever method you choose can conserve water and not waste it.
Scroll down to discover four simple and effective methods for watering narrow strips of lawns.
Table of Contents
Four Simple Ways to Water a Narrow Strip of Lawn
The process of irrigating a narrow area might appear difficult at first, but it is quite simple. Here are four effortless yet efficient methods of watering narrow strips of your lawn.
Tip One: Use Plastic Bottles
It’s time to put those old plastic bottles in your storage room to use. Here are three techniques for using plastic bottles to water a narrow strip of lawn that will amaze you. However, these water bottle methods are only effective for narrow spaces and small-sized plants.
Take an empty plastic bottle that ideally holds almost 2.5 liters of water. Now cut the bottom of the plastic bottle with the help of a blade or cutter. Next, tighten the bottle’s cap, ensuring there are no leaks. Take a pointed, sharp object to make holes in the bottleneck to let the water reach the soil.
Your tool is ready to be buried in the soil. Place the bottle opposite, with its head in the soil about 15 cm deep and the top above the ground to fill with water.
Another method of using a plastic bottle to irrigate a narrow strip of the lawn requires you to remove the bottom of the bottle and make a few holes in the cork. Next, you must hang the bottle by installing a slingshot holder and placing a crossbar on the top.
Use a small piece of film to cover the bottom, and also add some soil to it. Finally, fill the bottle with water and hang it in a direction with the top facing down.
The easiest way to utilize an empty water bottle for watering small spaces is to fill the bottle with water. Remember to leave space at the top of the bottle to avoid airlocks. Now attach a sponge or foam at the top instead of a plastic cap.
Dig the bottle into the roots of plants or trees and keep a regular check. Once they are empty, refill them again with water.
Tip Two: Install Micro Irrigation
Installing a micro irrigation system is the best option if you’re on a tight budget and searching for a practical way to water a narrow strip of lawn. Micro irrigation, also known as drip irrigation, is an irrigating system that uses tiny droplets of water to irrigate your plants. Micro irrigation is easy to set up, affordable, and guarantees that your plants get watered continuously.
You will need the following tools to install a micro-irrigation system:
- Poly tee fitting
- Hole punch
- Tube end closures
- Grass staples
- Poly pipes
Begin by connecting the poly tee with the sprinkler and a small riser to the pipe for narrow strips of your lawn. To connect the pipe with a poly tee, you will have to screw it open and attach both. This way, your plants will get drops of water from both sides of the poly tee.
A bubbler rotates 360 degrees to water all surrounding areas. So, to ensure proper irrigation of your plants, install bubblers and emitters near all plants in the narrow strip of lawn.
Tip Three: Make Use of a Soaker Hose
Using a soaker hose for watering narrow strips of a lawn is an efficient way to irrigate the roots of your plants. A soaker hose directs water to the roots, where the plants most need it.
The hose is designed with numerous holes to allow water to flow into the roots of your plants in all weather conditions.
Tip Four: Use Sprinklers
Another efficient way of watering narrow parts of a lawn is by installing hose sprinklers. These tiny sprinklers are efficient at their jobs and significantly lessen your workload.
All you need to do is adjust the timer, spray pattern, head rotation, and water pressure of your sprinkler to get the narrow strips of your lawn adequately irrigated.
Quick Suggestions to Water Narrow Spaces of Lawn
Here is a list of a few suggestions to water narrow stips of your lawn in an efficient manner
- Focus on watering narrow stipes of a lawn, particularly in autumn. It is the time of year when your plants are recovering from the heat and sweltering of the summer and getting ready for the upcoming winter. Therefore, it is suggested to focus on the irrigation of your plants in the fall.
- If you are installing a sprinkler to water the lawn’s narrow spaces, choose one with a tripod to ensure the water reaches all the plants.
- When watering the narrow strips of your lawn, it is essential to turn on all the sprinklers or any other installed irrigation system at the same time. This is to ensure a thorough watering of all parts of the lawn.
- Consider installing a remote hose on your lawn to make it easier to water the narrow spaces.
- If you have planted new seeds in the narrow strips of your lawn, it is essential to install an irrigation system that supplies adequate water to the soil and seeds for healthy growth.
- Keep your plants hydrated throughout the day by watering them in the morning. Watering in the night or evening can encourage the growth of fungi, especially in narrow areas of your lawn.
The Bottom Line
Not only is it simple, but watering a small strip of lawn can also be done within a budget. You can water the narrow spaces in your garden effortlessly if you follow the four simple tips mentioned in the blog. However, installing an irrigation system may appear to be a lengthy process. Still, once completed, it will not only last a long time but will also keep all the plants in a small space adequately irrigated.
- Clearing Saw vs. Brush Cutter |The 3 Incredible Differences? - June 14, 2023
- How to Cut Grass Like a Pro Using 5 Incredible Lawn Mowing Patterns - June 2, 2023
- 8 Pruning Mistakes to Avoid in Your Plant Care Routine - May 30, 2023